In today’s digital workspace, having an outstanding LinkedIn headshot can be the difference between gaining a competitive edge and falling behind.
A great photo is essential for making an excellent first impression with potential connections and employers—it can also help you make the most of your professional network on the platform.
With so many options for taking photos, it can be difficult to know where to begin.
Fortunately, we have compiled this guide outlining our top tips for taking fantastic LinkedIn headshots in 2023!
LinkedIn Headshots: What is it?
A LinkedIn headshot is your personal brand’s visual representation—it’s the first thing people see on your profile and often use it to remember you.
The importance of a professional, high-quality photo cannot be overstated in our increasingly visual world where image is king. Think of it like your virtual handshake; it’s your first opportunity to introduce yourself and set a professional tone.
What are the Types of LinkedIn Headshots?
Before we dive into the types of LinkedIn headshots, it’s important to remember that the type of photo you choose should align with your desired professional image and the industry in which you operate.
It’s not a one-size-fits-all deal! Now, let’s explore the four common types of LinkedIn headshots:
- Corporate Headshots: This is the traditional headshot, characterized by a professional look, clean background, and business attire. It’s perfect for conveying a serious, businesslike impression and is ideal for finance, law, or corporate management professionals.
- Theatrical Headshots: More familiar in the creative industries, theatrical headshots showcase your personality and character. They’re often more artistic and less formal, capturing a genuine, emotive expression that connects with the viewer.
- Commercial Headshots: These are generally lively and energetic, with a friendly, approachable vibe. Commercial headshots are an excellent choice for those in sales, marketing, or any role where an outgoing personality helps to make a positive impact.
- Editorial Headshots: These LinkedIn headshots look like they’ve been plucked right out of a magazine feature. They often involve more casual poses and could include props or settings that hint at your profession. Editorial headshots work well for freelancers, entrepreneurs, and anyone seeking a more stylized, creative image.
Each LinkedIn headshot type serves its unique purpose and conveys a different aspect of your professional persona. Choose the one that best represents your profession and personality to make your LinkedIn profile stand out!
Why Are LinkedIn Headshots Important for Individuals?
LinkedIn headshots hold paramount importance for individuals—professionals, job seekers, recruiters, and even students. Here are six reasons why:
- First Impressions Matter: Your profile photo is the first contact point with potential employers, clients, or colleagues. A professional headshot helps you make a favorable impression even before interactions commence.
- Professionalism: A high-quality headshot demonstrates your commitment to professionalism. It sends a message that you take your career and personal brand seriously.
- Personal Branding: Your LinkedIn headshot is a key component of your brand. It should represent your professional persona and align with the message you want to convey about your skills and experience.
- Trustworthiness: A clear, high-quality photo can make your profile appear more credible and trustworthy. People are likely to connect and engage with someone they can see rather than an anonymous profile.
- Visibility: LinkedIn profiles with headshots are more likely to get viewed than those without. This increased visibility can lead to more opportunities.
- Memorability: Humans are visual creatures. A distinctive headshot can help people remember you and your profile, setting you apart in a sea of generic LinkedIn profiles.
How to Take the Best LinkedIn Headshots: The Step-by-step Process
Before we delve into the step-by-step process of taking the best LinkedIn headshots, please remember that these guidelines have been created to help you present yourself authentically and professionally.
It’s essential to remember that your headshot should reflect your individuality and uniqueness, so feel free to apply these tips in a way that aligns with your personal brand and career aspirations. Now, let’s dig into the process.
Step 1: Preparing for Your LinkedIn Headshot
Before the camera starts clicking, planning and preparation are key. Select your outfit carefully—it should be professional yet reflective of your personality and industry. Ensure your hair and makeup are neat but not overdone. Lastly, get a good night’s sleep before the shoot to look your best.
Step 2: Choosing the Right Photographer
Finding a photographer who understands your vision and the specific demands of a LinkedIn headshot is crucial. You can consider a professional photographer, or if you’re on a budget, a talented friend or a photography student may do just as well. Review their portfolio to ensure their style matches what you’re looking for.
Step 3: Picking the Perfect Location
The location of your headshot can add context to your professional story. Corporate headshots are commonly taken in a studio with a simple backdrop, while editorial headshots might be shot in an environment relevant to your profession. Discuss this with your chosen photographer to help guide your decision.
Step 4: Mastering the Right Pose and Expression
Your pose and facial expression in your LinkedIn headshot should project approachability and confidence. Practice different poses and expressions in the mirror before the shoot. Remember, the objective is to look like the best, most authentic version of your professional self.
Step 5: Review and Select Your Headshot
After the shoot, go through the pictures with your photographer and select the one that best represents your professional persona. You might want to ask for advice from colleagues or friends to make the final decision. Once chosen, ensure your headshot is appropriately edited to enhance lighting and eliminate distracting elements.
Step 6: Updating Your LinkedIn Profile
Finally, it’s time to update your LinkedIn profile with your new headshot! Remember to adjust the photo size according to LinkedIn’s guidelines for optimal display. Now, prepare to impress with your professional and eye-catching LinkedIn headshot!
How to Pose for LinkedIn Headshots: 7 Posing Ideas
Posing for a LinkedIn headshot might seem daunting, but don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Here are some pose ideas that can help you create a striking impression:
- The Classic Headshot: This is a straight-on pose with you looking directly at the camera. It’s simple, timeless, and works well for any profession.
- The Over-The-Shoulder Glance: Turn your body slightly, looking over the shoulder facing the camera. This pose gives off an approachable, friendly vibe.
- The Thoughtful Look: Try looking away from the camera as if deep in thought. This pose can create an image of contemplation and credibility.
- The Half-Turn: Turn your body halfway towards the camera with a slight turn of your head. This gives a sense of dynamism and engagement.
- The Candid Shot: This is a more informal pose where you are captured mid-action, perhaps laughing or talking. It can create a warm, human connection.
- The Power Pose: Stand tall with your hands on your hips. It exudes confidence and authority, perfect for leaders and executives.
- The Relaxed Stance: Lean slightly on a desk or wall. This pose is casual and can make you appear more approachable and easy-going.
Where to Take LinkedIn Headshots?
When selecting the perfect location for your LinkedIn headshots, remember the environment should complement your professional persona. Here are a few ideal places for shooting that impeccable LinkedIn headshot:
- Professional Studio: A classic choice, studios provide a controlled environment with perfect lighting and background, ensuring high-quality photos. It’s a one-size-fits-all solution for headshots.
- Office Setting: If you want to exhibit your corporate identity, your office can serve as an ideal backdrop. It helps convey your dedication and commitment to your profession.
- Outdoor Landscapes: An outdoor location with beautiful landscapes might be your go-to for a more laid-back and natural feel. Ensure there’s enough natural light and the background isn’t too distracting.
- Coworking Spaces: Coworking spaces often feature modern, aesthetically pleasing interiors that can provide a fresh, dynamic backdrop for your headshot, showing you as a part of an innovative environment.
- Industrial Locations: If you’re into rugged aesthetics, an industrial location with raw textures and structures could provide a unique backdrop for your headshot.
- Home Office: Finally, your home office can be a great location to capture your headshot. It’s comfortable, personal, and says a lot about your work style, especially for remote workers or freelancers.
What to Wear for LinkedIn Headshots?
Your attire for your LinkedIn headshot plays an integral role in conveying your professional image. It should be appropriate for your industry and align with your personal style. Here are six outfit ideas to consider:
- The Classic Suit: Nothing screams ‘professional’ louder than a well-tailored suit. Opt for solid colors or minimal patterns to keep the focus on your face.
- The Smart Casual: A mix of formal and casual, this could include a blazer over a high-quality t-shirt. It’s perfect for creatives or those in more relaxed industries.
- The Statement Dress: For those who love to showcase their style, a dress with a pop of color or a unique cut can make a great impression.
- The Corporate Polo: A crisp polo shirt is another excellent option, especially for those in tech or sports industries. It’s comfortable yet professional.
- The Neutral Turtleneck: A turtleneck in a neutral color can provide a modern, sleek look, particularly when paired with a blazer or statement necklace.
- The Simple Blouse or Shirt: For a versatile and timeless look, a simple, well-fitted blouse or shirt in a solid color works brilliantly. It’s understated and professional, suitable for virtually any industry.
LinkedIn Headshots Costs: How Much Do They Cost?
Professional headshots are an investment in your brand and career. But how much do they typically cost? Well, let’s break it down:
- Low Range (Budget-Friendly Options): You can find photographers who offer headshots at budget-friendly rates, typically under $100. This is an excellent option for starting out or on a tight budget. However, remember that these options may not provide the same quality or service as the higher-priced packages.
- Mid Range (Intermediate Options): Mid-range headshot sessions often fall in the $200-$500 range. These sessions usually balance reasonable pricing and quality service, including multiple outfit and backdrop changes and professional retouching services.
- High Range (Premium Options): If you’re looking for top-notch quality and a comprehensive package, premium headshot services might be what you need. These sessions, usually priced over $500, offer unparalleled service, including a professional makeup artist, multiple location changes, and extensive retouching.
Remember, these are estimated averages, and prices vary widely based on your location, the photographer’s experience, and what’s included in the package. It’s always best to research and compare different photographers in your area to ensure you’re getting a good deal for the quality of service offered.
Best AI Photographers for LinkedIn Headshots
AI-powered photography has revolutionized the way headshots are taken, making it possible to capture high-quality images without the need for a professional photographer. Here, we highlight five exceptional AI tools to help you take stunning headshots for your LinkedIn profile.
ProPhotos AI is an advanced tool that uses artificial intelligence to capture and edit professional-grade photos. It identifies and enhances key features in a headshot, ensuring you’re always presented in the best light.
Aragon AI is a powerful photography tool that utilizes machine learning algorithms to optimize your headshots. From background removal to automatic retouching, Aragon AI offers a comprehensive suite of editing tools to perfect your LinkedIn profile picture.
HeadShot Pro is an AI-driven tool explicitly designed for creating professional LinkedIn headshots. Features like automatic lighting adjustment and smart cropping make it a reliable choice for creating impactful LinkedIn photos.
ProfilePicture AI uses AI technology to offer personalized advice on improving your LinkedIn headshots. Whether adjusting your pose or tweaking the lighting, this tool provides valuable insights to help you make the best first impression.
StudioShot is an AI-based app that transforms selfies into professionally lit LinkedIn headshots. Its intelligent algorithms work to correct lighting, remove background distractions, and enhance your natural features, ensuring your LinkedIn headshot conveys professionalism and authenticity.
Are Corporate LinkedIn Headshots the Only Acceptable Options on LinkedIn Profiles?
No, corporate headshots are not the only acceptable option for LinkedIn profiles. It largely depends on your industry and personal style. While they may be suitable for certain industries, LinkedIn has no one-size-fits-all approach to headshots. Your headshot should align with your brand and industry, whether that means a more casual or creative look.
Do I Need to Wear Formal Attire in My Headshot?
It’s not necessary to wear formal attire in your headshot, but it should be professional and appropriate for your industry. You want to convey a polished and put-together image, so avoid overly casual clothing or anything too revealing. Overall, choose an outfit that represents your style while still being suitable for the professional platform of LinkedIn.
Can I Use Filters on My LinkedIn Headshots?
We recommend avoiding heavy filters or effects on your LinkedIn headshots. While filters may enhance your photo’s aesthetics, they can also distort your appearance and create an unprofessional impression. Opt for minimal or natural-looking edits to maintain a clean and professional image on your LinkedIn profile.
Choosing perfect LinkedIn headshots is more than just taking a good photo; it’s about creating a professional image that aligns with your brand and industry. Whether you opt for a corporate suit, a statement dress, or a simple blouse, remember that your attire should reflect your professional persona.
Don’t shy away from investing in professional photography services; explore innovative AI tools that are revolutionizing how headshots are captured and edited. Prioritize natural lighting, choose a non-distracting background, and present yourself authentically.
Now that you’ve learned the art of taking perfect LinkedIn headshots, it’s time to implement your knowledge. Whether through a professional photographer or an AI tool, take the first step to enhance your LinkedIn profile. Remember, your profile picture is often the first thing people see, so make it count.