While browsing the web, sometimes we see an image we desperately want to save. Downloading photos from a web browser is easy; we need to right-click on the image and use the Save function.
Sometimes, we download images from the web and later find that they were saved in WebP format. This is because WebP is a very new image format, and not all web browsers or image viewers support it. If you use Windows 10 or 11, you can’t open the WebP files without a third-party photo viewer.
How to Open WebP Images on Windows 11
Below, we have shared some of the best ways to open WebP images on Windows 11. So, if you often download the WebP file format on your computer and delete it later because you can’t view it, you might find this guide very helpful. Let’s get started.
Also read: Enable Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 11
1. Open WebP Image on Windows 11 via Photos App
To open the WebP image on the Photos app, you must make changes to the File Explorer options. Follow some of the simple steps we have shared below to open the Webp image on Windows 11.
1. First, click the Windows 11 search and type in File Explorer Options. Next, open the File Explorer options from the list of matching results.
2. On the File Explorer options, switch to the View tab, as shown in the screenshot below.
3. In Advanced Settings, scroll down and uncheck the Hide extensions for the known file types option.
4. Once done, click on the Apply button and then on OK.
5. Now, locate the WebP file which you want to open. Right-click on it and select Properties.
6. At the end of the file name, replace the .webp extension with .jpg, .jpeg, or .png. Once done, click on the OK button.
7. You will see a confirmation prompt. Click on the Yes button to continue.
8. Now, right-click on the image you renamed and select Open With > Photos.
That’s it! You can view the WebP file on Windows 11 without converting.
2. Open WebP Images on Microsoft Paint
On Windows 11, you have both Paint and Paint 3D; you can use the Paint app to open WebP images. Microsoft Paint natively supports WebP file format. Here’s how to open WebP images on Microsoft Paint.
1. Type in Paint on the Windows 11 Search. Next, open the Paint app from the list of best-match results.
2. When the Paint app opens, click on File.
3. Next, click on Open and select the WebP image file you want to view.
4. The Paint app will open the WebP file you’ve selected.
That’s it! This is how you can use the Microsoft Paint app to view WebP files on Windows 11.
3. Open WebP Images with a Web Browser
You can use web browsers like Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome to open the WebP files already saved on your computer.
To open WebP images, right-click on the file and select Open With > Google Chrome/Microsoft Edge.
Both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge are Chromium-based and support WebP files natively. You can also drag and drop the WebP images to the web browser for viewing.
4. Convert WebP to JPG
Another best way to open WebP images on Windows 11 is by converting them to any other image file format. You can convert the WebP to JPG or PNG in easy steps. Here’s how you can convert WebP images to JPG format.
1. Open your favorite web browser and visit the cloudconvert website.
2. On the WebP to JPG converter, click on the Select file button as shown below and locate the WebP image.
3. Next, click on the Convert to drop-down and select the output file format.
4. Once done, click on the Convert button as shown below.
6. Once converted, click the Download button at the bottom right corner.
That’s it! This is how you can use CloudConvert to convert your WebP images to JPG file format. Like the CloudConvert, you can also use other image converters to convert WebP images on Windows 11 computers.
5. Use a third-party photo viewer for WebP files
If you don’t want to do the manual work, install a third-party photo viewer compatible with the WebP files.
On Techviral, we have already shared a list of the best Photo viewer for Windows 11 to open WebP files. You can install any of the Photo viewers listed in that article to open the WebP files on your computer without converting.
So, these are some of the best methods to open WebP files on Windows 11. If you know any other easy way to deal with WebP file format in Windows 11, let us know in the comment box below.